Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Workday.

10/9/07 At Sea LA to Acapulco 2
1:41 PM

Yesterday I actually had a real work day. I woke up at 11:15am, threw on some clothings and made it over to rehearsal at 12. We rehearsed our scripted stuff from 12-2. We then had two hours off. We came back for tech from 4-6. An hour off, then a 7pm call for the 7:30 show, half an hour off 8:30-9 then a 9 call for the 9:30 show. And each of those things I had to come early to and leave late from because of the electronics setup. So I actually did, for once since tech week, put in a real 7-8 hour work day.

The shows yesterday were a little wonky. It’s only the second day of the cruise for these people and so a bunch of the scenes we do that make fun of life on the ship – the elevators that close before you can get into them, the towel monsters that the room stewards make, etc…were kinda lost on them. Also in the second show there were a few drunk people who just kept shouting and making fun of us – we play Freeze Tag in the middle of the show as an improv game and throughout the rest of the show whenever there was the hint of a comedic silence this guy would shout out FREEZE!! And chortle. And we’ve gotten “fart” or “flatulate” two or three times as suggestions…I thought it was just a myth that people actually shout those things out constantly.

Needless to say I had a few drinks, stayed up until 4 and slept until now, almost 2pm (really 1pm but we moved our clocks forward an hour) to counteract all that work ;).

I like Russian women, and here is why. I was talking to some friends at a table, and I accidentally bumped into a woman behind me. I turned around and looked at her and apologized, and she without missing a beat was like “Oh! you are cute so it is okay!” To which I laughed awkwardly, I think maybe pretended to bump into her again, apologized again and then went back to my conversation.

White American Males are the most awkward demographic. But at least it’s slightly counteracted by suave foreigners taking up the slack.

After that I chatted it up with two other piano players on the ship for awhile. Heard some great stories from the Canadian in the show band about his life and times with his accordion (I’m serious this guy somehow got on MTV for 30 seconds cause he was playing Zeppelin and Sex Pistols on the accordion at Spring Break and was literally bringing down the house with it). I got some Dr. John DVDs from Monty and ripped that so I can now begin to check out New Orleans Piano.

My parents are coming in a month!! I can not wait to see them and show them what I’m doing. I think it will make this whole experience feel a bit more real and grounded for me to have them here.

No comments: