Monday, September 24, 2007

Three more posts...

I'm sure my bloggingness will die down in a bit but everything is so new and crazy and exciting I'm just gonna get it all out there if I can. Peace!

9-22-07 At Sea, Vancouver to Victoria
9:55 PM

(Note to Yappers:Umm it’s come to my attention that some of these posts may have parts that are inappropriate for the younger readers. I apologize. There’s gonna be some stuff here that’s older so if you don’t feel comfortable reading that you’re better off not reading the blog…I’m sure I will tell you all about it in person when I next see you. anyways. K? Cool. But as long as you/your parents are cool with this journal then I am too.)

Currently I am sitting in rehearsal. We are learning this amazingly funny “dance” called Chairs which is a choreographed number involving three people in office chairs twirling and thrusting and spinning about. Today was a the first full day on the ship. Woke up early to do some registration stuff, went to a rehearsal where we used my $15 casio keyboard I randomly brought with me cause we apparently don’t have access to a keyboard, then we went off to Vancouver. We ate at a restaurant with good food and really awkward, bad service. We walked around Gastown and noticed that we were in a very lovely tourist bubble in the midst of lots of gross badness. Some dude came up to me while Beth was getting money from the bank and started asking me for money…saying he couldn’t work for a week because his arm was all fucked up…and yeah it really was it looked eerily bloated like it had had some internal infection for a long while. I still said no…I refuse to let someone talk me into giving them money if I refuse them first.

Anyway we then went and bought a bottle of ice wine which apparently is one of the most complex tasting beverages around. We’ll celebrate with that the final night Mick and Beth are around. We also went to a little bar and Holly and I shared a beer sampler of a bunch of local beers. We made it back to the boat and I watched the sun set from the front of the boat as we went under the bridge in Vancouver and saw the ocean open up before us with misty mountains in the far distance. We literally sailed directly into the sunset and I felt I had finally arrived at my goal.

After that we went to the Tex Mex restaurant. We sat at a table by the window so we could look out and watch the water go by underneath us and the mountains in the distance. I had seared tuna for an appetizer and then this Il Pomo dish that was sortof like a Mexican pup u platter…they came out and cut all the vegetables off of this rack and everything. I also could have had dessert but we had to leave for rehearsal. And now it’s over so I gotta go. Peace!!

Oh..reitirate…my dinner was free ;).

9-23-07, At Sea Vancouver to Victoria
1:37 AM

I went to the crew bar for the first time tonight. It was really great, I made a few new friends, two girls who work as hostesses at the restaurants, Kati (pronounced kah-TEE) and some name that starts with E I think…they always wear nametags so when I see her I’ll remember. They took me to their room and showed me – it was a little bigger than my two-bedroom except that there were FIVE people sharing it. Technically I think there should have been six but their luggage was in the sixth bunk. Ridiculous. It totally makes me feel completely fine about sharing a room. When I told her I lived on deck 10 she just kinda stared at me for a second and her mouth opened a little, because crew live on decks 2-4 and it tends to be the higher the better…so 10 is just like off the charts. She showed me the way back to the bar, I went back and of course all the guys were like so how was your first time? etc., giving me some crap about where I’d been. Good thing nothing happened though because apparently it’s pretty serious if the girl is caught upstairs in “street clothes.” Anyway, it was nice.

9-24-07, At Sea Victoria to Seattle
6:10pm

Whew! Just finished a really intense rehearsal. It was 3 hours of ridiculous focus and attention. I ran electronics for the first time although I just used my iPod without the whole mixer setup which was more difficult and awkward. I did pretty well with the transitions, we only had to hold for me two or three times. I’m just so happy that I’m on my shit with this show and I feel confident and the rest of the cast feels confident in me. It’s really great.

Today we were at port in Victoria but we didn’t get off the boat…we just rehearsed. In the morning we worked on the scriptless (improv) show…ironed out what games we’re playing, who’s playing them and what order they’re in. At one point when it seemed there was no one to host a game, I offered to host cause it was one that didn’t need music, but immediately I could tell that that wasn’t really done cause that would look weird to the audience. I probably shouldn’t have offered and I hope the director/cast wasn’t annoyed by that…I just wanted to help and didn’t really think about it too hard. It was fine though.

Dinner in 45 minutes so I’m gonna go check my mail and wander about. Peace!

2 comments:

Drew Vanderburg said...

Of all the things you have written, what wows me the most is the size of the theater. 1100! Ahhhhhhh! Jealous = me.

Be sure to stay friends with these director/performer folk and don't weird them out too much with your penis. I want to meet them someday.

Perhaps when I come to Mexico. I really want to do that but I can't BELIEVE how much money I lost this summer and how financially impossible it seems right now.

Oh and when I was asking about the mantrain I didn't mean the real names of its constituents, I meant the CODE names. Flatbed, Sleeper, Boxcar, Caboose...those are all I can remember.

PEACE,
Drew

Unknown said...

So when you were had the title "Vancouver to Victoria," I thought you were talking about the person, not the place. It made me rather confused. Or it might be that I'm drunk right now -- that could have something to do with it.

Good foresight on the keyboard, and I'm glad you've been able to find some people your age. Definitely keep on writing and telling us how the experience is for you (and congrats on a successful first show!). And once again, if you get a chance to take some pictures, I would love to see what you're seeing...