Saturday, September 29, 2007

more posts..

9-26-07 At Sea, Seattle to San Francisco
4:14pm

Just got through a monster day of rehearsal. All day I’ve felt a little under the weather…not much appetite, a little tired and weak. Part of this may be because of the waves – we finally picked up the speed and I can definitely sit there and feel the world go in and out. It’s not making me nauseous per se, it’s more just making me feel a little out of it…almost like a light high. But the good news is that the show is set and I feel fine with it…I’ll feel a lot better once it’s over I think.

I also think it’s finally sinking in that I’m on this ship for awhile and I’m starting to miss people from home.

Call is in two hours…we have two shows tonight. I’m excited and ready to fly. Even though none of the electronic stuff is automatic by any means I’m totally comfortable with it if I’m constantly thinking and looking ahead to what’s next. Everything should be fine after that. Peace!


9-27-07 At Sea Seattle to San Francisco
3:04AM

We had our first two shows tonight. They were really incredible. We did really really well, I only had like two slipups the whole show and they were not bad noticeable things really…an early fadeout on a set change and jumping a piano cue a bit early but the actor didn’t go with it so I just repeated it when the time was right. I performed for, all told, approximately 1700 people tonight and there were literal roars of laughter and applause at times. It was great. Afterwards I had some shepards pie, potato skins, buffalo chicken and a burger at the grill (again…gotta love the free) and met up with everyone for some drinks. After that we went down to the crew bar and I just chatted with people the whole time. I met a guy from North Andover which was awesome – we’re definitely gonna chill. The thing is most of the crew on board are about my age, so when I’m in the bar it’s very easy to get along with them.

I did a really got job with the show, I am pretty sure. Like I did what was expected of me and the shows were solid. I’m very satisfied especially for these being my first shows ever running sound and piano for.

Tomorrow is San Francisco and hopefully Christopher. We actually sail in in 4 hours or so…some of the guys are getting up and taking pictures as we go in in the morning. I’m saying fuck that…I’ve helicopter-ridden through SF and don’t need to see in the daytime what I will easily see at night when we leave the same way we come in. Sleep is important..especially because I have to do crew immigration again (this is rare and will probably be the last time I do it while I’m on board) at 10:40 tomorrow morning.

Sleep now then…I will get a good 6.5 hours. Should be fine. Good night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

$400 a month for all expenses? I hate you so much.

Congrats on the gig working out, and good luck getting your sea legs, buddy. If you're still on the boat next year I'll try and meet you in Cali. Anchors aweeeiigghhhh.

~Sandy

Joel E said...

yeah...well I'm quickly discovering it may be more like $800-$1000 a month with doing stuff at the ports, all the extra alcohol and stuff. But still: life is ridiculous. Talk to you soon buddy..I'll give you a call one of these LA days.